Monday, January 14, 2013

Banner year

According to Longman's Dictionary of Contemporary English a banner year is 
"a year which is good because something is successful"

For me 2012 was a hard year emotionally, a big move, a busy year, a hot and humid new home, so so far from my comfortably wet, cool, grey northwest coast in just about every way imaginable. Not even a Fred Meyer for hundreds of miles....... you see my struggle. (tongue in cheek on that last one folks. Though I still long for my dear Freddie's from time to time...)


However, all things considered, I think this was a banner year for our little family. I would go so far as to say this was a multiple banner year! If there is such a phrase... because multiple things(people) succeeded. Logan was successful, he finished his course with high marks and good reports. Rowan successfully started preschool and loves it (he also recently lost his first two baby teeth! hooray milestones), Katie successfully bypassed the age of 2 verbally, she has fooled people all year long into thinking she's older just by speaking (for the record this was not because of anything we've done... she just likes to talk), and little miss Evelyn has successfully navigated her first year and is now fast approaching "big-kid-hood" as she races to follow her siblings in their antics, hilarity, and sweet explorations of their world. I managed not to die, despite all my moanings about the weather and the crushing mass of humanity here on the east coast. We enjoyed travels south, north, and (my favorite) west, made friends and found a wonderful church home here.


The Lord is good! He brought us through one of our roughest years not just by the skin of our teeth but with banners! Though I'm not sure how long we'll be here or what sorts of things we've been called here to do I do know that we are blessed and that there are good times ahead. I am homesick and looking forward to someday being much closer to the NW but I am optimistic for the future and hopeful. It's a good start to another multiple banner year!

My first project of 2013 is a small wall calendar. I wanted to have a little scrapbook of memories to remind myself every month of how far we've come in this for-now journey. Here are 12 photos that made it onto the calendar. There are so many more, in fact I think I'll have to get a large book to fill with our 2012 pictures! 

Anyway here's a very brief jaunt through our first year "back east".

January
Our first night in Virginia

February
One of the only snowfalls of 2012
 March
Miss Katie turned 2!
 April
Rowan really enjoys baking
 May
Dinosaurland!

 June
Roadtrip to Alabama

 July
Evie nearly crawling at Uncle Kurt and Aunty Kelly's place



 August
Costco shopping

September
Rowan helping Katie be brave by the noisy dog's house

October
 
Robot kids at Grampa and Gramma's house

November
5K race course marshaling with Mama

December
Evie's birthday zoo trip

1 comment:

mommarazzi said...

Wave those banners high!

I'm in awe of your increasing strength in so many areas, Lyssa. Your momhood is fully engaged to manage three little monkeys jumping on the beds, off the beds and over the beds.

We are looking forward to hearing about your adventures in this new year. Sounds like big things are in the works. Kate's big 3rd birthday is right around the corner!!!

Hope to join you in some of those milestone moments this year.