My cats are great, they hunt and catch mice and moles... unfortunately my cats also think we'll be very impressed if they bring them inside and leave them laying around. We got home Sunday evening after running around a bit and settled in to watch our rented movie that's when we found two dead mice looking things (maybe moles?) under the coffee table! Fortunately Logan is big and brave and he threw them out and didn't even tease me for being really girly about it. Isn't he great?
The next morning we woke up to scratching noises in the corner of the bedroom which turned out to be Chaos. She had a live mouse in our room and she was playing with it! Logan threw it out the window. It wasn't moving much so he put on a glove and took care of it... and by that I mean he threw it against a tree. Later in the yard we found another dead small critter and also one in the bottom of the trash can (Gross eh? I think maybe it was just hiding from the cats.)
The WORST though was last night when I was walking to the bedroom and I saw Chaos calmly walking across the hall with a small animal in her mouth! I guessed a squirrel but when Logan went to check it out it turned out to be a little rabbit. It was pretty messed up and I wanted to just shoot it to put it out of its misery but we aren't really supposed to be shooting things in the city (even if it makes sense and isn't cruel) so Logan just put it back in the woods to die. I felt bad but I can understand not wanting to try and kill it with a shovel or something.
If my cats want to kill mice and moles I am all for it and we praise them for it... unless they bring them in the house. But catching a bunny just seems a little intense for a little cat to pull off... maybe she thinks she's a cougar or something.
The annoying thing to me is that I feel like I used to be a lot braver before I was pregnant. The cats at my parents' house used to kill things and I'd just grab a shovel and fling them off into the corner of the yard or whatever but now I don't even want to look at them. It's weird... maybe some psychological safeguard against any diseases I can get from handling dead things?
Oh! And we found out there are bats hiding behind our gutter and they don't like the heat from a grill. At least that solves the mystery of the weird droppings on the lid of the barbecue.
3 comments:
Ew bats. That's kind of creepy regarless of how cool I think bats actually are. I haven't seen one of our cats in over a week. But I did find (another) dead mole by their food and water dishes along with a dead robin in nearby bushes.
Just like your cats, I wish they would know that rodents are the only thing they're supposed to be "taking care of".
Bats are a really good thing to have around. They eat a ton of mosquitos and other bugs that could be nasty if they transferred diseases of some kind or other. I hope your bats find somewhere else to sleep. Don't let Logan kill them or Chaos or Havoc kill them either.
I didn't think about how bats are good. I don't know where else they would live though because behind us is only woods and I don't think bats sleep in trees. Those cats have definitely been busy I found two more moles today, one by the trash can and the other on the patio, and they are still creepy.
Post a Comment